Blog Post

Self awareness-What it is and how to develop it

Self awareness is having a clear perception of and acknowledging our

Feelings
Thoughts
Emotions
Personal strengths and weaknesses
The outside world
Other people’s feelings and emotion

Being self aware allows you to monitor your emotions and thoughts in the present moment, which enables us to understand ourself better. With this awareness we are able to act consciously and will learn the power of acceptance.

Having awareness creates the opportunity for you to make changes to your behaviour, thought process, beliefs and lifestyle. It is one of the key components to creating what you want and having control over your life.

There are many wonderful benefits of high self awareness, these can include

Decrease of anxiety
Decrease of stress
Higher self esteem
Higher level of success
Clarity of what you truly desire
Knowing your passions and acting on them
Better understanding of others

Having a higher self awareness is not just awareness of ourselves, it is awareness of others. You will be able to understand other people’s thoughts, emotions, feelings and motives better. When you are then faced with a situation where someone is acting out their hurt or fear in the emotion of anger or aggression you will eventually be able to learn to interpret these emotions and become more mindful in that present moment. This decreases the chances of you becoming a slave to your emotions or defensive thought patterns and acting out to match their confrontational emotions.

How to develop self awareness

You can develop self awareness in a number of ways. Some will help you more than others, as we are all different you need to find what suits you.

Meditation

I would highly recommend everyone trying meditation. There are hundreds of different meditation exercises and the benefits for your mind, body and soul are incredible.

Being mindful

Make the effort to be more mindful on a daily basis. This immediately encourages you to be more aware of yourself, others and your surrounding.

Positive self talk

Be aware of your thoughts. Stop and replace any negative self talk or thoughts you are filling your mind with.

Trust your intuition

Our intuition is real, we all have it. That gut feeling, those shivers, visions, your body reacting to a situation or environment before anything has happened. Listen to your body and trust what it is telling you.

Mindful exercises

Try mindful walking, awake meditation or mindful cleaning.

Self-improvement

There any many ways you can improve on yourself. Educating yourself through books, blogs (The Sacred Space is all based around self-improvement) or courses are just a handful of ideas.

Mindset shifts that will change your life

Living in the present

Give some of the above a try and what changes it has on your day to day life.

Sending love and light

Alyssa x

(41) Comments

1. Self-awareness is so important! I’ve always been quite good at it as I’m very introspective but I’ve noticed that so many of the young people that I work with lack this skill, even down to being unable to describe what they’re good at when I help them write a CV. I’m not sure why so many struggle with this, but it definitely needs to be focused on as without self-awareness it’s hard to be confident and self-assured when moving through life, and how can you hit your goals and get to a good place when you don’t have an understanding of yourself?

2. MamaBuzz says:

Great read! I believe in the power of the mind. Self awareness is an important aspect of life and those ways you mentioned are truly realistic and applicable.

3. I have never heard of awake meditation, however I’m dying to find a good video for it, do you suggest any? I love meditating but sometimes I just can’t quiet my mind, therefore awake meditation would be amazing because I could do it anytime

4. This is such a fabulous post! I have been practising self-awareness recently (one of my 2019 goals was to become more self-aware to improve my life overall). I have found meditating really helps. It was something completely new to me but it has helped me to unlock so many doors! I also walk a lot more now (especially nature walks) becoming in touch with nature has allowed me to have some ‘me time’.

Ashley

1. Alyssa says:

Thats wonderful news Ashley!! I am so glad meditation is working for you, I love it. Thank you for reading.

5. Love the messsge of your blog and this post. Awareness is everything! Thank you for sharing!

Roger Petersen
    Mind and Love

1. Alyssa says:

Thank you so much Roger! Always value your feedback.

6. Self awareness is so important and something I’ve trying to put into practice lately. I find mindfulness definitely helps me along with taking long walks.

7. Beautifully said !! 💕 I really need to try meditating l! It’s something that I’ve never done before! Thanks for sharing !! Happy Monday Girl!

Thank you so much!

8. I love meditating! I started doing it a few months back and already feel so much more composed! This is a great post, thanks for sharing.

9. Self-awareness is everything, truly is. I believe it’s the biggest step towards change and peace. I really like the suggestions you gave. My favourite is ‘trust your intuition’ 😊✨ Love your top-notch posts xx

10. Your posts are truly inspiring, well done you.

1. Alyssa says:

Thank you so much Margarida.

11. jade says:

great post! loved this thanks for sharing

Jadieegosh

Thank you Jade!

12. Self awareness is so important and I totally agree with all the point stated.

Thank you!

13. I loved this post! I know I need to work on my self awareness and I know several others that do to, I can’t wait to share this with them!

14. Hi Alyssa,

Self-awareness is important to develop skills, manage emotions and improve relationships. Love the different techniques you provide to building self-awareness.

I’m going to work on meditating more often and like you said the benefits also help the body and soul. Thank you for sharing!

Sandy

Thank you Sandy!

15. As I was reading this I started thinking about a person I know who isn’t very aware of how he effects people or what he wants in life and I started seeing all the correlation’s. It really is a crazy thing.. Nice post!

1. Alyssa says:

It really opens your eyes doesn’t it. Thank you for reading and taking the time to comment.

16. Wow I can definitely relate. We are on the same page for sure! I need to do more mindful walking! I love how being more self aware mindfully helps the physical body too! I look forward to more posts like these!

1. Alyssa says:

Thank you for taking the time to read and comment.

17. What a great reminder. I needed this today. Thanks for your comment on my blog too. 🙂

18. I think too many people are quick to dismiss their intuition rather than taking the time to listen to it, because society tries to tell us it’s ‘silly’ or ‘foolish’

1. Alyssa says:

That is so true! Some people don’t even believe in it. Thank you for reading Britt.

19. Great article – lots of great strategiesand reminders!

20. Self-awareness is the first step to self-improvement. Beautifully written.

Thank you Damyanti.

21. Wow! What a great read this was. Self awareness is so so important so many people today lack this and the knowledge and I think it’s such a great a idea to do a post on it🤗

Thank you so much!

22. Thank you Alyssa! I was actually thinking today about ways to think more positive ! Even when I have known and I have try to practice self-awareness for some time now you never stop learning and never stop practicing to overcome those negative thoughts. Thank you for sharing

1. Alyssa says:

Thank you for reading and taking the time to comment. I hope my post helped!

23. I’ve just became self aware recently. It is amazing and your post was right on target! Please follow my blog I’m following yours!

1. Alyssa says:

Thank you for taking the time to read and comment. I have followed you back!

24. So many people don’t realize that self-awareness also includes being aware of other people and their feelings and emotions. Practicing self-awareness is NOT an excuse to be selfish! Love this!

1. Alyssa says:

So true Lauren!! Thank you for taking the time to read and comment.

25. … [Trackback]

[…] Informations on that Topic: thesacredspaceap.com/2019/03/30/selfawareness/ […]

26. I went over this site and I think you have a lot of great information,